Data Protection & Privacy
The General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) were the most radical overhaul of data protection law in the UK for 20 years, and came into effect on 25 May 2018 alongside the Data Protection Act 2018. If you require assistance with ensuring your business remains compliant under GDPR, Blacks Solicitors can help.
The new legislation places greater responsibility on the way businesses handle personal data and deals with issues such as consent, record keeping, breach reporting, and privacy notices.
It is comprehensive and applies to all organisations, regardless of size or the type of business they carry out. Significant fines can be levied by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) so it is therefore vital for all organisations to be compliant.
However the legislation can be difficult to navigate, and involves looking at relationships with customers and suppliers, the updating of Privacy Notices, and drafting Data Sharing/Data Processing Agreements. In addition, businesses also need to be aware of their obligations under the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations which cover electronic marketing.
Data Protection Compliance
We regularly assist clients in relation to issues with compliance, information handling practices, and privacy matters (in the UK and internationally) including:
- Drafting and negotiating Data Processing/Data Sharing Agreements
- Data Protection Notices, compliance manuals and Privacy Policies (both internal and external)
- Data Breach Policies and notification processes
- Opt-ins, opt-outs, cookies, marketing, targeted advertising and online profiling
- Data commercialisation within organisations – from the structuring of Commercial Agreements to domestic and global compliance procedures
- Compliance audits and implementation
- Responding to Data Subject Access Requests
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) issues
- Data breaches – including advising upon an organisation’s responsibilities and timescales for responding
- Bringing and defending claims under the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018
Some sites which your organisation may find useful:
- The Information Commissioner’s Office
- The Privacy Shield Framework
- The National Cyber Security Centre
- The responsibilities of a DPO
For more information about Blacks’ services, or for a free no obligation discussion, please email or call us today on 0113 207 0000.